February 08, 2012

General Birthday Cards

So I needed to up my stock of general birthday cards. I wanted to vary them a bit.


The first is whimsically text-heavy with mixed fonts. The white was added by hand, giving each one a slightly different look. Though I don't want the white part to be 100% perfect, I do thinks the lines on this one were a little sloppy, so I'll make cleaner lines next time. 
4.25 x 5.5 in, side fold, 65lb brown kraft card stock, "I sincerely hope you have the best birthday ever" printed, highlighted with a white gel pen.  


Next is another mixed font card with candle embellishments. Cutting out little flames isn't as bad as you'd think. 


4.25 x 5.5 in, top fold, 110lb white card stock, "birthdays are for wishes" with card stock candles, hand-drawn wicks, and card stock flames, glued with Aleene's Tacky Glue.  



In the interest in mixing embellishment with printed text, I printed a birthday banner onto card stock and affixed it to the card. Not quite there yet - maybe I need better paper with texture or dimension. But it's a start!  
4.25 x 5.5 in, top fold, 110lb white card stock, "happy birthday to you" with card stock "birthday" banner on 65lb card stock and a super-thin spread of tacky glue.

This next guy was inspired by these adorable stickers on clearance at Michael's: 

I felt a little weird about just sticking him onto a card and calling it my own, so I used him as inspiration. I mocked up my own boxy robot and cut out the various parts from shimmery silver card stock. I printed the card with the message and joining lines (arms/legs/balloon string) and glued the boxes on top. The eyes were a pain to do symmetrically, so I think I will try good ol' googly eyes in the future. I think he's still pretty charming. 

4.25 x 5.5 in, side fold, 110lb white card stock, "happy birthday" with card stock robot parts and balloon.

No comments: